Wonder how you can help an individual or family experiencing homelessness? At some point, most of us have encountered somebody struck by homelessness, and may have been unsure how to help. Housing for New Hope has 8 helpful tips on how you can help. Let us know if you have other ways you have helped a person experiencing homelessness in your community.
1) Show respect - smile, make eye contact, ask how their day is going.
2) Donate money to agencies working to prevent and end homelessness in our community.
3) Donate new or gently used items such as socks, coats, and supplies to make outreach or welcome kits.
4) Provide food. Gift cards to local eateries, granola bars, and bottled water are all great ideas to help feed somebody experiencing homelessness.
5) Create jobs if you are able. Homelessness is often a result of job loss or reduction in employment hours.
6) Contact local agencies to volunteer. Many agencies have a wide array of opportunities and ways you can help.
7) Call for emergency services if you feel the person is in need of medical assistance.
8) Become a landlord. Housing for New Hope is always looking to build new partnerships with private landlords in the Durham area.
If you would like a copy of these tips to hand out, you can download it HERE.